About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Friday, April 9, 2010

What's your verb?

Think back to your elementary studies on grammar. Verbs are action words. On a side note if you look up verb in the dictionary it is a noun, which is kind of funny to me for no reason at all. I know it is a noun, I just think it is funny that a verb is a noun.

I heard this in a sermon/lecture from Patrick Mead and had to share it. Look to Hebrews Chapter 11 (the faith chapter). You have all these statements of people of great faith. I won’t put the whole chapter here, just the stuff to make the point.

By faith Able brought and offering
By faith Noah built an ark
By faith Abraham obeyed and left home

And the list goes on. What does every one of these statements in Hebrews 11 have connected with faith? They all have an action or a verb. Their faith caused all of them to do something, and it was different for each person. But the point is they did something because they believed.

The question Patrick Mead asked in his lecture and the question I pass on to you is: What’s your verb, and where’s your verb? What is it that you can do to show your faith in God? James 2 reminds us that faith without works is dead. That doesn’t mean you are saved by the things you do, but it does mean if you are saved you should do something. There should be some fruit to show for it.

You don’t have to tell me what your verb is, I would actually prefer you not, unless God is really laying it on your heart to share. I just want to ask myself, and I want you to ask yourself what you can do. What gift do you have that will allow you to show God your faith. And we can’t try to cop out and say, I’m just not good at anything. The bible is clear that everyone has been given gifts. The post I made a few weeks ago titled Knowing or Doing?, had a couple of videos of Ed Stetzer talking about making disciples. One of the things he said was he studied the Greek meaning behind the word everyone in the verse that say everyone has been given a gift. He said if you look back at the original language that word everyone actually means…Everyone. Shocker I know.

Once you know what your verb is, use it!

1 comment:

  1. An oldy but a goody...I couldn't help but use it:

    "Words come easy but dont meen much
    And when the words we're sayin we cant put trust in
    We're talkin bout love in a different light
    But if we all learn to love it would be just right

    Hey tell me haven't you heard
    Love is a serious word
    Hey I think its time you learned
    I dont care what you say,
    I dont care what you heard
    The word love: love, love is a verb"

    ReplyDelete