About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

True Faith

Menno Simons was a religious leader who lived from 1496-1561. He was a Catholic Priest who became an Anabaptist which means "rebaptizer." The Anabaptist were strong supporters of a believer's baptism, meaning baptism that comes after a personal confession of faith in Christ. The Mennonites (which I find interesting) took their name from him. Simons wrote the following words about what true faith is and what true faith does. I read this today and wanted to share it. It is something to ponder while trying to do the work of God.

“True evangelical faith is of such a nature
it cannot lie dormant,
but spreads itself out in all kinds of righteousness
and fruits of love;
it dies to flesh and blood;
it destroys all lusts and forbidden desires;
it seeks, serves and fears God in its inmost soul;
it clothes the naked;
it feeds the hungry;
it comforts the sorrowful;
it shelters the destitute;
it aids and consoles the sad;
it does good to those who do it harm;
it serves those that harm it;
it prays for those who persecute it;
it teaches, admonishes and judges us with the Word of the Lord;
it seeks those who are lost;
it binds up what is wounded;
it heals the sick;
it saves what is strong;
it becomes all things to all people.”
--Menno Simons

2 comments:

  1. Have you read The Naked Anabaptist by Stuart Murray?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't read it. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete