About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What If?

It is a question we ask ourselves in contemplating the positives and negatives of a decision we are about to make. Sometimes it is good to ask this question. Teenager about to jump off the roof onto the trampoline asks himself, “What if this doesn’t turn out like I plan?” That is a good what if question. When Gideon and Josiah start to do things like this I hope they have these what if questions. If not we are going to numerous trips to the emergency room. Asking the “what if” question does pay off on occasion.

This Sunday in Bible Class a passage was used to define the sin of sloth. It was the parable of the talents. A talent in Greek is an amount of money. I believe I read that it was 75 lbs of gold. Brief overview of the passage: A master entrusts a certain amount of gold to three servants. Two of the servants make a profit for the master by using the gold they were given while the third was afraid he would lose it, so he dug a hole and buried it. You see the third servant asked the what if question. “What if I lose the money I have been trusted with and then the master gets angry with me?” So he does nothing out of fear. The master returns and rewards the first two servants. But to the third servant he says, “You are a wicked and lazy man…and now you must be punished.” Matthew 25: 26 & 30 FDV (Freakin Deacon Version).

What do you think the master’s response would have been had one of the servants tried to make a profit for the master but ended up losing it? Since parables are meant as a teaching tool and we know that the master represents God I feel like I have an answer to that question. I think the answer is Grace! That is what the master’s response would have been. I have had discussions with people that I am close to who are afraid of upsetting God and so they live and, unfortunately, worship God in fear. Now I am not saying we shouldn’t fear God and shouldn’t worry about upsetting Him. I actually think I need to have a stronger sense of fear of God in my life. What I am saying is that we don’t need to let our fear of God stop us from trying to do something for God. I have heard people say, “I think this is ok to worship or serve God like this, but in the back of my mind I worry, What if(There is the question again) I am wrong and I raise my children wrong.” The fear is that God will punish them and their children because he didn’t like the way they served and worshiped him. I just disagree with that type of theology. I believe God will honor the fact that we serve and worship him. The master in the story didn’t give the servants instructions on how to serve Him. He just rewarded the ones who did serve him. Don’t let your worship be defined by fear. Just worship. Also, don’t let your service be defined by fear. Just serve. Don’t refuse to do work for God because you are worried that you might mess it up. The parable above explains how God views the person who does that. “Wicked and lazy!”

I pray that we will have a healthy fear and respect for God and I also pray that we will not let our service and worship be hindered by the terrible “What if?”

7 comments:

  1. I think the second issue at play in that passage is that we are held accountable not just for the things that we did that displease God, but for the things that we didn't do for God.

    In my class this Sunday we read through Lamentations 2. Around v. 14, Jeremiah puts a heavy blame on the prophets for NOT warning the people. If you look over in Ezekiel, he warns that people will be held responsible for NOT doing something. Even if they are not doing "wrong," they are by not doing what God has told us to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that if someone is worried about "messing up" and "making God mad" then they are focusing on themselves. Our works are like filthy rags to our Holy God. Only through God can we ever do anything worthwhile. So, trust God and allow Him to work through you and quit trying to rely on yourself.

    And doing this is a process. We still fight our sinful flesh and we still have the desire to control our lives. We must daily die to ourselves and live for Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point Patrick. Not only sins of commission but also sins of omission is in play here.

    I agree Jeff. There is a sense of look what I have done or what I haven't done here and that is not the approach we need to take. Nothing we do or don't do will make us right with God. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to please God. Do everything we can to do so and let God's grace do what it is intended to do. The phrase "our works are like filthy rags to our Holy God." makes me think a little. It may just be that we would phrase things differently in this case which seems to happen a lot to us. We end up saying the same thing differently in our posts and not realizing it at first. So this may be another one of those situations. Here is my thought on your statement. True anything that we do no matter how good is nothing compared to the goodness and perfect nature of God. However we still can please God. I don't think he looks at our works as filthy rags. Hebrews 11 (the faith chapter) mentions people of great faith and their actions, and the verses say God commended them for their faith and what they did. Our actions don't make us right, but I think they do please God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only point that I'm trying to make is that when we worry about "messing up" while serving God, then our focus has been on ourselves all along. When we can trust God to work through us, He will never "mess up" because His work is perfect. It's when we try to step out and do things on our own when things tend to get messy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. Excuses with God never work for that very reason. He tells people "I don't need you to be able to do this. I need you to be willing and I will take care of the rest."

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "what if" conversations drive me insane. I think most of that comes from the "heritage" that our church family has grown up in. When you are taught from childhood that anything you do wrong and that if you deviate from their teachings in any way you will go to Hell- how could you actually have the guts to serve God and listen to the Spirit.
    It is sickening to think about all the opportunities the church has missed because of "what if".

    What if we follow God with with reckless abandon?

    What if we stop telling others what they can and can't do and let the Spirit move and work how it is supposed to?

    What if the Church grows a set? (Sorry if that offends you)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Sarah Grace! I like the way you turned it around. One of the many reasons I married you and one of the reasons I am still happy I did.

    ReplyDelete