About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

And the Crowd Goes Wild!!!

“Meanwhile the leading priests and other leaders persuaded the crowds to ask for Barabbas to be released and for Jesus to be put to death. So when the governor asked again, ‘Which of these two do you want me to release to you?’ the crowd shouted back their reply; ‘Barabbas!’ ‘But if I release Barabbas,’ Pilate asked them, ‘what shall I do with Jesus who is called the Messiah?’ And they all shouted, ‘Crucify him!’ ‘Why?’ Pilate demanded. ‘What crime has he committed?’ But the crowd only roared the louder, ‘Crucify him!’ Pilate saw that he wasn’t getting anywhere and that a riot was developing. So he sent for a bowl of water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, ‘I am innocent of the blood of this man. The responsibility is yours!’ And all the people yelled back, ‘We will take responsibility for his death—we and our children!’ So Pilate released Barabbas to them. He ordered Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip, then turned him over to the Roman soldiers to crucify him.” --Matthew 27:20-26

There is only once that I have ever heard this story referenced outside of the Easter season. It was after the 2006 Texas Governor’s Race. Kinky Friedman had run as an independent and did not win. When discussing the fact that he lost he said something along the lines that he keeps reminding himself “the crowd also chose Barabbas.”

I heard this passage from Matthew referenced the other night in a bible class and it got me thinking. It’s a weird story. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Mark tells us Barabbas was guilty of murder in an insurrection, or an uprising against the government. Which might give an extra clue about why the crowd chose Barabbas. The Jews despised being under Rome’s authority. Someone willing to stand up to the Romans would be well liked by the rest of the Jews. That’s about all we know about Barabbas. So why does all of this happen? You can say that it happens because Jesus had to go to the cross to be offered as a sacrifice for us, so that is why it happened. And that wouldn’t be incorrect. I just thought of it a different way this time when I saw the text.

A man was found guilty and should have been punished. Jesus however took his place. Last Wednesday, I realized, I am Barabbas! And so are you. We are the ones that should have been punished. But Jesus took our place. I know I am not the first person to ever make this connection, and it may be old news to you. But when I saw it on Wednesday, it made sense. It was cool to see something in a way that I haven’t before.

I pray that as we continue to read, discuss, and try to live out God’s Word, that we will have more moments like the one I had a week ago.

1 comment:

  1. The idea of us being a "Barabbas" is a tough pill for me to swallow. But it is true. Thank you for reminding me how awesome Jesus is.

    ReplyDelete