About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Radical Enough?



There is a lot of talk these days about Christians becoming more radical. And it is good discussion. It is this discussion that is calling us to a more devoted walk with Christ. David Platt had his Radical Sermon series and now has his Radical book. Not just Platt that is addressing this issue. Many Evangelicals have been on this topic over the last few years. I love the discussion, because I want to live up to the life that I have been called to.

The thing that makes the radical faith hard are the statements that are used to start this discussion. "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters..."Luke 14:26 or "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Luke 18:22

What do we do with these statements? Some will dismiss them and say they are not relevant. Some will take them to heart literally and choose to walk that path. Is there somewhere between those two responses that allows us to really follow God's will? Can I be radical enough if I don't literally sell everything I have and give to the poor? Is there a way to radically love my wife that points people to God? Or by asking that am I the guy that Chan talks about in the video above that is looking for a "new middle road" to follow? A while back I was on Bill Streger's blog and took his advice to go to a blog with a post titled, The God of the Mundane. This post addresses the radical calling from another angle. Here is one of the thoughts from the post. I would encourage you to go read the whole thing.

It is almost like a new legalism is emerging. "Quit your job. Do something crazy. Pick up and move. If you do not then you are suspiciously lacking in the necessary requirements of what we deem 'spiritual.'--Matt Redmond


When I read that, I thought maybe I am being a little bit like the Pharisees. If people don't follow these statements from Jesus exactly like I do, then they aren't real believers. That is what the Pharisees did. But then I think these are words from Jesus' mouth. I can't ignore them. So what are we to do?

2 comments:

  1. Well, when I went to the link, what I read made me think he sounded a bit bitter about something for sure!

    But, he did make one really good point...
    "We must assume there are untold numbers of men and women spreading the gospel of grace quietly throughout their community and making it possible financially for others to go without making a big deal about it and telling everyone on facebook they are doing it."

    Well, I sure HOPE so! The point that I have gotten from studying all the David Platt and Chan teachings is that it's about GOD and your obedience to His instructions. Being "radical" doesn't mean that the world has to see you doing, just that you are doing from your heart, for the sake and glory of our Savior! Really, if you take away from all the teachings that people have to see you being "radical" then you are taking the glory away from God and doing it for your own glory, which then is wasted because it's not truly obedience.

    For example... we are not adopting so that people say "Oh, look at how great they are." We are doing this out of obedience and the belief that God will be glorified by our obedience. Of course, it's hard to go through the adoption process in silence, but you know what I mean.

    So yes, be radical with your giving, with your service and with your mission work (whether that's going or sending) but don't do it so that other people see it. The lost WILL see it... or at least we hope they do and that God can work through our obedience to draw people to Him!

    From the "mundane" link...
    there are A LOT of LOST people with enough of a moral compass to be "faithful spouses, honest in business, that love their children well and enjoy the world they live in"

    And, I personally don't believe we are to "enjoy" this world... we are called to a life of sacrifice and that is very hard to grasp when we are surrounded by wealth and live in a world that teaches personal satisfaction. So, be radical! Being a good moral person doesn't get you to Heaven. We are justified by our Father and we are called to a life that will continue to sanctify us through a process of glorifying HIM!

    One quote from Platt's book that I'm trying to keep in the front of my mind...

    "there is never going to come a day when I stand before God and He looks at me and says, 'I wish you would have kept more for yourself.'"

    About your last paragraph... 'what are we to do?' We are to have our own faith, serve and give as God calls us and not worry about what others are doing. It's hard to read these books and study these sermons and not want to point out to everyone else where they are going wrong... but that's not OUR job! It's God's! We are to be obedient and then to pray for our fellow believers and for the lost.

    Be radical, but make sure that the glory in your way of living is all going to God! Pray, pray, pray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how you can take that he is bitter about something, and he may be, but he might also just be trying to focus on how you can be radical in your everyday life. That is what I am taking from it.

    Yes there are lost people who do what is right and good, however it falls back on them. If I radically love my wife, and radically work honestly, It can be to give the glory to God, which is the point from Platt that you mention.

    As far as this world, I don't think it is wrong to enjoy this world. God blesses us with many things and I think he wants us to enjoy the blessings so we can honor him for the blessings he gives. Ecclesiastes 11:8 says "However many years a man may live, let him enjoy them all. But let him remember the days of darkness, for they will be many. Everything to come is meaningless." I think that means enjoy this world that God has given us, just don't forget that the world is not what is most important. Now our enjoyment of this world is not to override our service to God. It is just one other way that we can glorify God for all he gives. And when I talk about enjoying the world I am NOT talking about materialism or greed. These things are sins that are crippling the church.

    That quote from Platt is a powerful reminder. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete