About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The person who understands the evil in his own heart is the only person who is useful, fruitful,and solid in his beliefs and obedience. Others only delude themselves and thus upset families, churches, and all other relationships. In their self-pride and judgment of others, they show great inconsistency. --John Owen


I came across this quote in Sacred Marriage. I have read over it several times. I just keep coming back to asking myself, "How often do I try to understand and acknowledge the sin in my life?" The problem for me is sometimes I am too busy pointing out the speck in my brother's eye that I ignore my own. I admit my "faults", however, I downplay the seriousness of them in comparison with the terrible sins of others. The truth in Owen's statement "is the only person who is useful, fruitful, and solid in his beliefs and obedience" makes me want to get myself in check. Jesus warns about this kind of living and it is time we start taking him seriously on this issue.

1 comment:

  1. Helping our brothers witheir burdens with meekness and humility (Gal 6) demands that I have inspected myself first 9Matt 7:1-5). I cannot be meek and humble to serve my brethren unless I am aware of my own shortcomings. Empathy and sympathy make a huge difference how we reach out to support others.

    Great quote!

    ReplyDelete