About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Happiness or Holiness?

While reading the Freakonomics blog the other day I was blown away with the topic. It tells about an up and coming business in Japan. You pay this up and coming business and they will put someone in the life of your spouse or fiancĂ© with the intent to get them to cheat. Once the person succeeds they provide you with photos of the act and then you have a legal reason to call off the relationship with the other person. Sometimes in-laws will also use this service if they are unhappy with their child’s choice in a mate. I was disgusted. Even though this is in Japan I am certain that it is only a matter of time that businesses like this will take off here also, if it hasn’t already taken off.

True, the person who goes through with the act of cheating is wrong but I believe if a person uses this kind of service, they are just as guilty as the person who did the cheating. They are recognizing that there are issues in their relationship and are unwilling to do anything to fix them. On top of that they are finding a way to lead that person into sin. I am reading a book titled Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas. The cover asks this question. “What if God designed Marriage to make us holy, not to make us happy?” I think this addresses the issue at hand here. Our culture is so wrapped up in us being happy that we are ignoring what we are called to do. What ever happened to “For better or for worse”?

I stood next to my wife at the Weekend to Remember Conference a few weekends ago and we pledged our love through vows again. It was beautiful. It was an important reminder that I have made a commitment to this woman and to God.

This post may seem to be an attack. I really don’t mean for it to be that way. I just want each of us to start honoring the commitments that we make from now on. Let us not put our happiness before God’s demands for our holiness.

"After all, I, the Lord, am your God. You must be holy because I am holy." Leviticus 11:44 & 1 Peter 1:16

2 comments:

  1. I have no clue where I read or heard this advice, but it goes something like this: "If I want true happiness in my marriage, then I need to look for happiness in serving my mate for her good." It also went on to distinguish doing good for the spouse just to get something in return. That is not the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thought James. The Author of Sacred Marriage, Gary Thomas, said he asked himself "Does my wife feel like she is married to Jesus?" Which most of us will probably say "No." to that question, but that is how we are instructed to be towards our wife. "And you husbands must love your wives with the same love Christ showed the church. He gave up his life for her..." Ephesians 5:25

    ReplyDelete