About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Remember When...

Many of you reading this were either at Weekend to remember with us this weekend, or if you weren't you might have known we were there. This was a great opportunity for Gracie and I, like all other couples there to draw close together and remind each other what we are committed to and why we made those commitments in the first place. Now the classes were not necissarily the greatest classes, however the weekend as a whole was fantastic. Now the point of this post is not to talk about how much I love my wife, although you should know and probably already do know that she is amazing and I love her deeply. The point of this post is to bring up one of the things that I got out of this weekend.

On different occassions Sarah Grace and I have read the bible together and prayed together each day, as long as it was possible. We were really good about it for a while, but have gotten away from it. While in the Man to Man session (guys only Hoka He-!) the speaker talked about studying with your wife. He had an idea about doing this that makes it not so hard to commit to. I thought I would share. He suggested you get a devotional and each day, you and your spouse read the one short devotion thought for the day and then choose one thing from that or from your hearts to pray about together. This is a good thing to do for those who always seem to be short on time. It will take 3-5 minutes. I would guess most of us can find 3-5 minutes to do this with our spouse, or your fiance, or the person you are dating.

So I told Sarah Grace that I wanted us to do this again. We have a copy of My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers, so we decided to start with that last night. I would like to encourage you that if you aren't already doing something like this with your spouse that you join us as we pick this up again.

Here is one of the thoughts I liked from the devotion yesterday.

No sin is worse than the sin of self-pity, because it removes God from the throne of our lives, replacing Him with our own self-interests. It causes us to open our mouths only to complain, and we simply become spiritual sponges— always absorbing, never giving, and never being satisfied. And there is nothing lovely or generous about our lives. --Oswald Chambers


Sarah Grace, do you remember when we studied the word together regularly?
Remember when we prayed constantly for our 1st child as he was still being formed inside you and we watched as Gideon grew into the strong healthy little boy that he is? Remember when we prayed that God would use us to serve Him. Remember how close we felt as God used this time together to help solidfy our relationship bound up in His love?

Just think of the amazing things we will see this time!

1 comment: