About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

You don't look like a David

Have you ever had anyone say this to you, or have you said that about someone else. It is kind of a weird thing really. How can a name have a certain look to it? Today’s post comes from thoughts on Barnabas who is mentioned in Acts 4:36-37. Now his name wasn’t originally Barnabas. His birth name was Joseph, but Joseph lived in such a way that the apostles said we are going to call you Barnabas, which means son of encouragement. “You don’t look or act like a Joseph so much, you are more like a Barnabas.”

You don’t hear of stories like this really any more but it made me think about my own name change. What if someone came around and gave me a name change? What would it be? Unfortunately quite often someone could come to me and say, “You don’t look or act so much like a David, you are more like an Acario.” That means ungrateful. Sometimes people might be able to say, “You are more like an Eifah.” That means darkness or gloom.

How about you? You ever think about it? Are you living in such a way that someone could give you a positive name change? It’s up to us. We get to choose how we live. Are you going to choose to live a life like Barnabas?

“As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.” Ephesians 4:1

6 comments:

  1. Now that is an interesting question. Perhaps it's just an American phenomenon, but we don't seem to give names to our children based on what the name actually means. We tend to choose names because we "like" them, ie. the way they sound. Don't get me wrong, not everyone does this. Some people put a lot of thought into a name, but it's just not that common.

    On top of that, do you know what Jeff means? Or John, Steve, Patrick, Tiki Tiki Tembo? Me either. But in the days of Jesus, it was a common practice to know the meaning behind someone else's name.

    Am I getting off topic here? Who knows. What I do know is that the issue here is the character of a man/woman. When people look at me, do they say "Jerk? Selfish? Liar? Lazy?" Or do people see me and say "Devoted husband? Loving father? Friend? Dependable?" I've certainly encompassed each of those traits, both good and bad at some point in time.

    I'll be honest, I've often had the attitude that I just don't care what other people think about me. As a follower of Jesus Christ, that's probably a poor attitude to have. You raise a very interesting topic because when I think about the subject, we really do need to guard our character and live our lives in a manner that honors the Living God.

    "You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offerred his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,' and he was called God's friend. You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone." James 2:20-24

    ReplyDelete
  2. So..... Sarah means princess.....hmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you as a Deet. Now since that's a chemical in bug spray, perhaps we can think up something positive so that we're not calling you "bug spray." Perhaps you are Deet because you ward off annoying pests. Perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think i would like to be called Mary. I know that sounds weird as a guy but in the midst of all the distractions and the hustle and bustle of life to just be at the feet of Jesus. To worship Him is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete