About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

What do you do?

It’s a question we are asked quite often and a question we ask others. It is usually one of the first things that we ask people that we meet. It’s our way of sizing each other up. If we know what kind of job someone has we feel like that will give us a good idea of the kind of person they are. The fact is for Christians, it really shouldn’t matter what our job title is. No matter what our job is we need to be working to build the Kingdom of God. I know this is somewhat of a running theme through my month of blogs. I guess the fact is that most of my blogs will continue to come back to this issue. What am I doing in this world to build God’s Kingdom? The stuff I keep reading keeps bringing up this idea. I guess I am a slow learner because God has to keep telling me over and over again. I liked the very simple way that Jared Wilson put it in Your Jesus is to Safe. I read this last night and even though it is a simple statement it kept sticking out to me. We know the answer to the question, “What do you do?” Here is the answer to “What should you do?”
__________________________________________________________

“What does Paul call the church? The body of Christ. And what did the real body of Christ do on Earth? He went around living out the kingdom and testifying to its presence. So that’s what the church, as the body of Christ, should do: live out the kingdom life and testify to the world about the kingdom’s presence.”
--Jared C. Wilson
__________________________________________________________

It doesn’t matter what kind of job you do. You can be a doctor, lawyer, garbage truck driver, machinist, professional blogger ( I hope to hold that title one day. I should get paid for all of these thoughts I am sharing with the world), home maker, or even a regular old history teacher. Whatever we do to provide for our families should never get in the way of doing work for the Kingdom of God. And I know the responses that some will give. “Well how can I do all of that while I am supposed to be working?” It goes back to what I said the other day. We don’t need to compartmentalize our lives. Everything you do should be a reflection of God and His glory. We can (and should) live the higher calling that we have, in everything that you do, which includes your job. Sharing Jesus with the world is not just the job of the preacher.

1 comment:

  1. "Whatever we do to provide for our families should never get in the way of doing work for the kingdom of God." This should be tattooed on all our foreheads.

    ReplyDelete