About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Friday, January 15, 2010

God's Judgement?

I figured since many others are weighing in on the subject I would also. Pat Robertson made a comment about Haiti making a deal with the Devil and implying that is why they are so impoverished and have suffered so many horrors, including the most recent earthquake. The story behind the Haitians “deal with the devil” is a legend that says the leaders of a 1791 slave revolt made a pledge to a voodoo doll that was supposed to represent the devil. The pledge stated that in exchange for a victorious revolt they would serve Satan. Key word here is legend. It is a story that has been passed down over the generations and there is no proof that this actually happened. Many people have been arguing that because of this alleged deal, and their continued way of life they are being punished by God.

Now I am not going to say this quake was or wasn’t God’s Judgment on the Haitians, but I think it is a little dangerous to point fingers after a disaster and say look this is God’s judgment on those people, when we are just as guilty of idol worship. I may not be swearing allegiance to the devil; however there are lots of things that many of us put before God. Maybe it is money, fame, drugs, sex, ourselves. Whatever it is we are just as guilty.

I don’t think it is time to worry about whether or not this is God’s judgment. It is however a perfect time to show them the mercy and grace of God and the perfect truth of Jesus Christ. Let us all pray that this happens!

5 comments:

  1. This bring to my mind 2 things.

    The first thing is that God does judge; He is the Judge. He alone is the Judge. We want to look at God as this all loving peaceful God. But God is jealous God. If you look at the Old Testament God wiped out cities, races and lands. I do agree that we are not the ones to say yes or no that that is God’s judgment, but we also have to respect His power to judge. I also agree that it is for us to show love and mercy to others especially in time of such devastation.

    Secondly, something that bothers me is when people claim the Hand of God for everything. Especially natural occurrences. For example, when Hurricane Ike hit I heard a lot of people saying that God blessed them by not having a tree land on their roof. So what they are saying is that if a tree landed on your roof you were cursed. But those who had a tree landing on their roof said that God blessed them because they were alive. Sometimes a hurricane comes, sometimes a earthquake happens. It’s a natural part of a moving planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely that He is the Judge. There is no doubt about it. However, when we sit around pointing fingers saying look at how God passed His judgment on those people, we are trying to make ourselves better than others. "God did this to them because they are bad." It's like the Pharisee's prayer where he says, "Thank you that I am not a sinner especially like that tax collector." quoted from the dlwilly translation. I just have a problem with implying that we are better than others. It is what the Pharisee's did, and Jesus had some pretty harsh words for them. Matthew 12 "You Brood of vipers." And that's not all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often think of the white-washed tombs when I see/hear people talking about the sins of others deserving of punnishment/scorn/discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...they chisel epitaphs of piety...so amen....come Lord Jesus....

    ReplyDelete
  5. We ALL fall short of the glory of God. Pat Robertson, that means you too.

    ReplyDelete