About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Encouraging Words

“Therefore , since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress.” Hebrews 12:1

This verse was referenced at the memorial service for one of our dear brothers in Christ. I started thinking about the “crowd of witnesses” and the encouragement they give those that are trying to live out their faith in Christ Jesus. I started wondering what they would say if they could sit us down and give us encouraging words and words of wisdom to help us improve our walk. So I started thinking about some people’s lives and wondering how that might impact what words of wisdom they would give us for encouragement.

Moses: Don’t try to make excuses when God is telling you to do something.

Jonah: Don’t run from your responsibilities.

Abraham: Remain faithful even through the toughest challenges you face.

Sarah: Don’t doubt the promises of God.

Richard (my father): Don’t get so angry son and watch the words that you say to the people you love.

I just wanted to start a list, just something to think about. Feel free to add to the list in the comments portion. It can be advice you think someone from the bible would share with us, or it can be advice from someone close to you. Whatever it is, I think it is important for us to think of the faith of people who have gone before us and what they would say so we could have a stronger faith and a better walk with God.

The author of Hebrews offers his/her own advice on how to finish the race that is before us. It comes from Ch. 12 vs. 2. “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith...”

No comments:

Post a Comment