About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What Now?

In a recent study, research shows that in Texas the number of People attending protestant churches is down 20 % over the last decade and the number of people in Texas who claim to have no religion at all is up 7%.

Where does that leave us in 50 years from now?

I came across these stats from last year’s research and found it a little concerning. What can we do to change this trend? We see churches that are growing and mega churches being talked about all the time, but really what is happening is that these churches that are growing at fast rates are mainly doing so because they are getting members from other congregations. Even in our own church (which has grown quite a bit over the last decade) many of the newer members are from another church (ourselves included). And don’t get me wrong, it is important for believers to find a spot to call home and a spot to serve. I just wonder what we need to change to reach the un-churched. The changes churches have made are often meeting the needs of the churched, but the lost world is still lost and is growing according to the statistics provided in this research.

My question is very simple. What Now?

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28: 19-20

1 comment:

  1. I think for the most part Churches look inward. We get caught up in taking care of our own (which is not a bad thing). I bet if you look at most Churches ministries, they would be inward focused. We have to teach our members to look outwards and to see people as lost. I think most people believe that it is not the place to invite or even tell people about Jesus.

    I do agree that most Church growth comes from unhappy people leaving one church and going to another.

    Great post, thanks for the info and the challenge of "what now?"

    ReplyDelete