About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Grow and Flourish

The Talmud is a book of the combined Jewish oral law that interprets how to fully follow God’s law and also gives some instruction on life. I came across this quote today and it really hit me that we need to remember something about God.

“Every blade of grass has its angel that bends over it and whispers, ‘Grow, Grow’.” --Chullin 60a of the Talmud

I thought this quote was a beautiful reminder of what God wants to see in our lives. If God would care about the growth of something as small as a blade of grass, he certainly wants to see our growth. He cares about our well being. Remember Luke 12?

“Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable yare than birds!”

Jesus tells us that he came to give us life more abundantly. The abundant life…What is it? We talked about it a little in class on Sunday when we discussed Jesus the Provision. Don’t assume this only means more stuff. Jesus provides our every need. God cares about you. There is more to this life than just getting by. We shouldn’t just be working to get to the weekend. Live the life that we have been given today. And while living the abundant life that comes from Jesus think about that image from the quote from the Talmud. Put yourself in that scene. God has put an angel over you that is whispering words of encouragement and growth. They are words to inspire you to walk the abundant life.

No comments:

Post a Comment