About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

So Long Self

Water
Green Vegetables
Movies on the lifetime channel

Can you guess what this list is?

If you said things Dave would be willing to give up for Lent, you are correct. Today is Ash Wednesday of course, the beginning of Lent. These things don’t mean much for a good Baptist boy turned Church of Christer, but I was considering the idea of Lent today. Give up something or sacrifice something for a period of time so we can be reminded of the Sacrifices of the Lord. This doesn’t fully encompass all that Lent sacrifices means to believers who practice it, but is my basic understanding of it from reading up on it.

So the questions I ask myself are what should I give up if I were doing it? What is the point of making these sacrifices? Why do I have such a hard time giving up minor things in my life when really the point is to give up my whole life?

Living Sacrifices? Really? Why is that so hard to follow through on? My last post talked about the increase in the number of people who claim to have no religion and I asked what we could do to turn this around. While thinking on Lent today and reading some stuff online I started thinking that the way to turn things around is to give up my full life. I need to get out of the way and let God do what he can do. I don’t need to make excuses, those have never worked when talking with God. And I certainly don’t need to be proud of what I am good at. It doesn’t really matter what I am bad at or what I am good at. Because no matter how good or bad I am at something, God is far more powerful.

Do you want to grow God’s Kingdom with me? Then get out of the way and let God do his work first in you and then through you.

I came across this worship song tonight by accident. Or I guess you could say it was no accident at all. God was trying to tell me to give everything to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment