About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

For one more day

Quite often I want to hold onto this world. But it is always for selfish reasons. I want to have more things, travel to more places, and have more fun. But then sometimes I get sick of a lot of the things in this world and I am ready to go to Heaven. Just think how great it will be to not have any of the problems that we face. No more pain and sorrow. No more sin. No more evil.

Yesterday while I was reading Philippians I came across this verse from Paul that completely threw me for a loop. I have read it before, but this time I looked back to make sure I read it correctly. I am going to type out the passage, because I think it should be my theme verse.

“For I live in eager expectation and hope that I will never do anything that causes me shame, but that I will always be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past, and that my life will always honor Christ, whether I live or I die. For to me living is for Christ, and dying is even better. Yet if I live, that means fruitful service for Christ. I really don’t know which is better. I’m torn between two desires: Sometimes I want to live, and sometimes I long to go and be with Christ.” Philippians 1: 20-23

I have heard and read this passage several times. I just haven’t really thought about what Paul was saying here. Paul is torn between two things, heaven and life on Earth. Me too! But why is Paul torn? He says I don’t know which is better, Going to be with Jesus or staying here on Earth and telling people about Jesus. Don’t forget that this is written from Prison. “Do I want to stay here in jail and tell people about Jesus or do I want to go to Heaven and see Jesus? Hmmm, let me think about that.” How can you be torn about that question? You ask me that question and I am packing my bags (metaphorically of course, we all know we don’t get to take stuff with us). “See you later guys, good luck!”

This may be nothing new to you. I was just amazed at the Joy Paul has in serving Christ. I hope I can have that kind of joy. I hope that instead of hoping for more days on Earth to see and do great things, I will hope for more time to share Jesus with as many people that I can.

“Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.” --John Wesley

“We face a humanity that is too precious to neglect. We know a remedy for the ills of the world too wonderful to withhold…we have a CHRIST to glorious to hide. We have an adventure that is too thrilling to miss.” --Theodore Williams

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with holding onto the world. I want to see our kids grow up, get married, have their owns kids. I want to know you as an old man because I think we will be having just as much if not more fun when we are 80.

    I think the reason I struggle with this is I cannot even fathom what Heaven will be like because we live in such a depraved world.

    But I am learning.

    Come quickly Lord Jesus!

    ReplyDelete