About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Whisper of God

And he said, “Go out and stand on the mount before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper. And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold there came a voice to him… --1 Kings 19:11-13

The Whisper of God. How can we hear it as busy as we keep ourselves? We run from one thing to another. All the while wondering why God doesn’t speak. Maybe the problem is that He has been speaking be we just haven’t been able to hear Him. There is too much noise and too many distractions for us to hear what He has been saying. I have been praying for direction from God on a couple of things and I think really what I want is just a loud booming voice from Heaven. And He may choose to use that to give me the answer I seek. But I fear that with my busy life that I have chosen, I have unintentionally been drowning out His whispers. Maybe if I will get rid of all of the distractions in my life and draw close to Him, I will hear His will, soft but clear.

Father, speak to us. Speak your truth and your will into our hearts. Prepare our hearts and minds so that we may receive it and know that it is from you. In Christ’s Name and for your Glory.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry but I don't hardly ever read blogs but I had some time today and looked at yours and wanted to comment. (Who knows, maybe you were needing a little encouragement today that a "new" reader was out there!!)

    Good words. Sometimes I think I spend so much time ASKING God for things that I fail to LISTEN for what He has to say. Today's message at church was on "Overcoming A Distracted Life" and referenced Luke 10:38-42. I hope I can become more like Mary in these verses who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what He said. Hope all is well.
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of encouragement Tommy. Great reminder about becoming more like Mary. This gives us a good picture of Heaven but also how we should be now. Complete Joy from sitting at the feet of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete