About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wartime Simplicity

I finished reading the new John Piper book titled Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God. In an appendix in the back he shares a sermon of his that was on the Supremacy of Christ in Christian learning. In that sermon he discusses some of the things their church and seminary believe and teach. I wanted to share one of the statements that was on consumerism and materialism.

Desiring to be rich is suicidal, and commending that desire as part of the Christian life is therefore worse than murderous because not just this life but the next is at stake. Followers of Jesus should feel a magnetic pull on their lives toward wartime simplicity so that they may be lavish in giving and alleviate as much suffering as they can--especially eternal suffering. --John Piper


"Wartime simplicity." In the great wars of history citizens have been called on to make every sacrifice they can to help the cause and kingdom. Shouldn't this be how we live now? Sacrificing whatever is necessary for the sake of others and for the Kingdom of God.

God use us and all we have to bring you glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment