About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Eye Sees You

“I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’ Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. ‘Hear, and I will speak; I will question you, and you will make it known to me.’ I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.” Job 42:2-6

This passage comes after Job had been questioned by God for the three previous chapters. We all need to get to this point. Where we are broken and we realize that we can’t understand everything about God and his wisdom and power and plan. I believe it was in Skye Jethani’s The Divine Commodity where he talked about the fact that we have tried to perfect knowing God and that we have lost the mystery of God. We have forgotten that there are things about him that we can never grasp and it is foolish to pretend that we do.

The beautiful thing about this passage is that it is when Job makes this confession and repentance that God restores all that Job had lost and more. Job had finally learned what God wanted him to get out of the trials. Job had gone from merely knowing God from what he had heard about him to actually seeing the true nature of God and the mystery that surrounds Him.

I pray we will all come to the day where we can say to the Father: “I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you;”

No comments:

Post a Comment