About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pursuit of God

I am currently reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer. I highly recommend reading it. This is a short book that is so deep. I am only 1/3 of the way through and I can already tell this will be a book that I read again. Here are a couple of statements that I really liked from the first few chapters.

“The world is perishing for lack of the knowledge of God and the Church is famishing for want of His Presence. The instant cure of most of our religious ills would be to enter the Presence [of God] in spiritual experience, to become suddenly aware that we are in God and that God is in us. This would lift us out of our pitiful narrowness and cause our hearts to be enlarged.”


“The Man who has God for his treasure has all things in One. Many ordinary treasures may be denied him, or if he is allowed to have them, the enjoyment of them will be so tempered that they will never be necessary to his happiness. Or if he must see them go, one after one, he will scarcely feel a sense of loss…”


And the last thoughts I will share come from the Chapter titled The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing. This is an amazing chapter that centers on the story of God testing Abraham with Isaac.

“Things have become necessary to us, a development never originally intended. God’s gifts now take the place of God, and the whole course of nature is upset by the monstrous substitution.”


“And if we are set upon the pursuit of God He will sooner or later bring us to this test…So we will be brought one by one to the testing place, and we may never know when we are there. At that testing place there will be no dozen possible choices for us; just one and an alternative, but our whole future will be conditioned by the choice we make.”

No comments:

Post a Comment