About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Time to Clean House

In Dustin’s class on Sunday I was reminded of King Josiah and what he did as King. The story of Josiah can be found in 2 Kings Chapter 22-23. He became King at the age of 8. As they were rebuilding the temple a book of the law was discovered. In Ch. 22 verse 11 it says “When the king heard what was written in the Book of the Law, he tore his clothes in despair.” King Josiah then goes on a religious rampage. He starts destroying anything that was connected with the pagan practices that had been put in place over the years going so far as to executing the pagan priests on their own alters.

Josiah found out how his ancestors had gone against God’s will and he steps in to destroy all evidence of it and puts people back on track to following God.

I wonder if we should take the sins of our past maybe even the sins of our ancestors a little more serious than we do. So often I dismiss the lasting impact of past sins and how they still effect my life. Perhaps this is why I still struggle with the same sins. Maybe I need to be a little more forceful. Maybe I, like Josiah, need to execute my sins on the alters that I and my ancestors have built to other Gods.

“Never before had there been a king like Josiah, who turned to the Lord with all his heart and soul and strength, obeying all the laws of Moses. And there has never been a king like him since.” 2 Kings 23:25

No comments:

Post a Comment