About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Time For War

I have been thinking about spiritual warfare lately. As we read through the New Testament we read several passages that remind us of the battle that is going on. Verses like:

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. --1 Peter 5:8


Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. --Ephesians 6:11-13


I don’t think like this on a daily basis, but I think I need to start. I need to recognize the battle I have to face as I face the temptation of sin that tries to separate me from God. I need to realize that Satan has waged war on believers to work against the good work of God that is going on in our lives and through our lives. There is a battle going on for the souls of the lost and I need to take a stand. It is time to take a fighting stance against the evil of this world and against the work of Satan.

Does that scare you? Do you feel inadequate to think of yourself as a warrior for God? I do sometimes. I question my abilities. I question if I will have the right words. I question if I am strong enough. But the truth is I don’t have to be. I just have to be willing and trust that God is big enough.

This summer I read a book titled Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin Jr. It is a fiction book that is a story of the battle between good and evil. I loved the book even though all of the characters are animals. One of the main characters of the story was Chauntecleer, a rooster. The night before a battle between good and evil was about to take place he made this speech to the rest of those who stood for good. He used these words to encourage them to stand and fight the evil of their world. I remember being encouraged when I read these words. I remember feeling moved to take a stand no matter how inadequate I feel, because God has prepared us for the fight.

I pray these words will encourage you to make a stand for God today!

“Now that time is come which one day had to come. God breathed faith into us so that today we might be faithful. For generations God won trust from us so that today we might trust him. Years and years of providence had this purpose: that for one day we might not faint, but believe in him--and fight--stouthearted, fight--and win--and live!”

No comments:

Post a Comment