About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Let me!

It is amazing how independent a two year old can be. "I can do it! Let me do it!" Gideon is more and more convinced that he can do almost anything. And I know that as he gets older, that he will continue to become more independent, which is what every parent wants for their children.

Once in a while though Gideon still needs us as much as always. The other night, he came out from his room and climbed up in my lap. He just wanted to be held. After a few minutes he went over and climbed up in Gracie's lap and laid his head on her shoulder. She sang him a song and then whispered to me, I think he is asleep. Sure enough he was. In his busy little world where he wants to do everything and he is so independent he is still comforted and reassured by us. So much so that when he allows himself to accept it, he will be so at peace that he will drift off to his dreams in almost no time. We both smiled as Gracie walked down the hall carrying his exhausted body to bed.

I wonder how much of that is a reflection of how we are with God. As we grow and mature, we become more independent. And God loves to watch us as we grow and it makes him proud. But I wonder how much God smiles the times that no matter how independent we feel, we still just climb up in his arms and listen to his beautiful and sweet song of love that he sings to us. Maybe we should do this more often. And breath that sigh of relief that comes when you are overwhelmed with love and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment