About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Imperishable, Undefiled, and Unfading

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. –1 Peter 1:3-5

I read through 1 Peter this afternoon. The beauty of the passage above really hit me as I started reading. God has caused us to be born again to a living hope through Christ and the inheritance that we receive as children of God is “imperishable, undefiled, and unfading.” Then later on in the chapter in verse 13 Peter says: “Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”

We have been given a new hope and here we are instructed to not hope in anything else. “Hope fully on the grace” not hope partially, or hope mostly. Hope fully in the Grace that will be completed at the return of Christ.

Do you find yourself hoping in other things or other people? I want to urge each of us to join Peter as he praises God in this passage for the hope that we have been given through Christ Jesus and urge you to cling to that hope. It is all that we have that is of true value. By clinging to Christ we will receive the treasure that is Imperishable, undefiled, and Unfading.

No comments:

Post a Comment