About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Duty

I loved this John Piper clip about the gospel saving us from morality. Yes, saving us from morality. Watch the clip to get the full explanation of what he is talking about. I will include this quote from C.S. Lewis that he uses, in case you can't watch the video.

"A perfect man would never act from a sense of duty; he’d always want the right thing more than the wrong one. Duty is only a substitute for love (of God and of other people) like a crutch which is a substitute for a leg. Most of us need the crutch at times; but of course it is idiotic to use the crutch when our own legs (our own loves, tastes, habits etc.) can do the journey on their own." --C.S. Lewis


Do you always want the right thing more than the wrong one, or do you just choose the right thing because you feel it is your duty? I know I am guilty of this. I do things because God wants me to, which is nice. It is better than choosing the wrong thing. However I pray for a change of heart to where I will prefer what is right. I pray the Gospel will so overwhelm our lives that doing things only out of duty or obligation will exist no more. If not, are we any better than the Pharisees?

2 comments:

  1. Now balance that against this quote:
    "Morality itself cannot be sustained without the support of religious beliefs." - Sarah Palin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palin's quote is essentially true. Without religious beliefs, everyone will choose their own morality. Relativism ensues.

    However, Palin's quote has nothing to do with Christianity.

    ReplyDelete