About Me

My photo
I am a husband and a father and I pray that I will continue to look more like Christ to my wife and children each day. I pray that all that I do will be used to give glory to the Father and Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Chicken Sandwich Does Not Equal Evangelism

It is a day after the Support Chick-fil-A day. According to reports from those that participated in this day and news reports that covered it some people waited in lines that were an hour and a half to two hours long to support this company and the stance that it’s founder took. I am glad people wanted to take a stand in support of traditional view of marriage. I agree with the founder’s stance and don’t think it is inherently wrong to support a company or organization who takes a stand for something that you agree with. But I do fear that this support Chick-fil-A day can easily get twisted in our minds as to what we were taking a stand for and what impact it had. I think a lot of people took part in this appreciation day for this company because they felt they were taking a stand for Jesus. But I want to remind you that buying a chicken sandwich does not equal evangelism and supporting a company whose founder took a stand for the family values that you agree with is not fulfilling the great commission. Don’t get so wrapped up in an issue that has become politicized that you forget to share the truth of what Christ has done. What if everyone who showed up to the Chick-fil-A appreciation day shared the Gospel of Jesus with someone who is lost? What if instead of us being obsessed with issues like this we became obsessed with sharing the gospel to a world full of people who are dying and going to hell because they do not believe in Jesus Christ? This is not a criticism of the people who participated in the Chick-fil-A events yesterday. I just wanted to remind us all of our calling to share the gospel with the lost. The beauty of the gospel needs to be shared in words not just the support of a company who believes what we believe.
For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” Romans 10:13-15

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I struggled greatly on this day. To the world, we seem more united in showing God's "hatred" than we ever have been in showing God's love. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete